Friday, February 20, 2009

Skilled and Talented... and Random Fun

Some of you may recall that awhile back, a friend of mine (Amber) taught me how to quilt. I was so thrilled and found it so enjoyable, that I had to start another quilt right away. I have now finished a quilt that I made for Grandma Marcus who I hear is enjoying it back in the Minnesota cold. :)

Since then, I have learned another crafting trade: knitting! When I was young, my grandma taught me the basics of crocheting so I was able to pick knitting up fairly easily after another friend decided to take the time to teach me how. Do I have skilled and talented friends, or what? Krystin gave me some knitting needles for Christmas and I have since been learning how to knit a baby hat. There are some flaws here and there, but overall I think it turned out pretty cute!

Lastly, something that Nick and I have been up to is celebrating weird and random holidays with our friend Moe (another dentist on base). In January, we celebrated Burn's Day. It's a Scottish holiday that celebrates the birthday of their famous poet, Robert Burns. We celebrated the holiday by reading some of Burn's poems (we attempted a Scottish accent to no avail!), and by eating Haggis (the vegetarian version as the real version is quite disgusting - it's made of a sheep's heart, liver, and lungs and cooked in the stomach), and Neeps and Tatties (basically potatoes and turnips - quite good!). Then in February, we celebrated Arizona Statehood Day where Moe grilled us on Arizona trivia (she's originally from Phoenix) and we made some vegetarian Southwest Quesadillas, a couple homemade salsas, and fry bread. We're looking forward to celebrating Minnesota's Statehood Day in May, but if you can think of another random holiday for us to celebrate in the meantime, we're open to suggestions!

1 comment:

  1. If I can think of any random, unknown holidays, I will be sure to let you know! The quilt is very beautiful! You did a great job! And I think the baby hat looks really cute too :) Now it just needs a baby!!
    Have fun in Spokane!
    Love ya! xoxo Heather

    ReplyDelete