Thursday, September 23, 2010

Change, Change, and More Change!

There have been a number of changes taking place within our family over the last month. And because I am so far behind on my updates, here is a quick synopsis of some of those changes:

1.) Eliana started walking! She technically decided a few days before we moved that it was time to get up and moving. A friend watched her all day the day our packers were at the house and we think their 2 year old daughter inspired Ellie to get going. And it was so funny to watch her take her first "steps" because once she put her mind to it, there was no stopping her. She didn't have those first wobbly steps that most kids have. Instead, she just stood up and off she would go! So we have been chasing her ever since. It's been fun! She is definitely her daddy's girl. Nick didn't walk until 17 months and Ellie was just shy of 16 months. :)


2.) Jonikka started working! Yep - I am officially in the work force again! I started work 1.5 weeks ago in my father-in-law's dental practice. I am working the front desk and have been learning A LOT about how the office is run, and especially about how insurance companies work. It's been fun so far and I've had a great teacher (Pam, you're awesome!). Working part-time is ideal right now for me, as I can spend the other days at home with Ellie. After this week, I will start my normal work hours next week working Thursdays and Fridays. Coincidentally, that is the same week that...


3.) Nick starts working! Daryl, Nick's dad, will be cutting back on his hours in the office, and Nick will be taking over those hours. Daryl will work Mondays and Tuesdays, and Nick and will work Tuesday thru Friday. It will be quite an adjustment for Nick getting into private practice after the military, but he's excited and really looking forward to the experience. Plus, he's really happy that he's "inheriting" his dad's awesome staff! Jess, Jill, and Pam are like family. With both Nick and I working on Thurs and Fri, that means...


4.) Ellie has started daycare! She is attending the "Caterpillar" toddler room at the same daycare that I worked at while in college, Loving Arms. It is located in our church and we are really thrilled that it worked out to get her in there part-time. The first couple days went really well for Ellie - she jumped right in with the other kids and was loving the new experience. I was a little sad leaving her - it felt kind of like she was being dropped off at school! The last couple days have been a little rougher dropping Ellie off, but she has also had a cold, so that could be part of it. She's still transitioning to the new experience, but I know she has a good time while she's there playing with the other kids.

5.) We just returned from a trip to California! We spent 5 beautiful days out in Los Angeles in mid-September to celebrate Nick's cousin, Rick's, marriage to his gorgeous bride, Stacey. We stayed in a great hotel that had a heated outdoor pool - Ellie relished her time in there, let me tell you! And we got to spend the majority of the day with most of the Marcus clan that flew in from all over the country. It was a great weekend, great food, great weather, and even better company. It was wonderful to see everyone, and of course, we are so happy for Rick and Stacey! Congrats, you two!


6.) Ellie (finally) got her first haircut! Nick was very against the idea of cutting her hair so I had let her get by with the shaggy dog look for quite awhile. But the child refuses to leave bows, barrettes, or ponytails in her hair, and after several days with a snotty nose and her hair getting stuck in it (yuck...), I finally took her in to get some bangs trimmed. Neither of us love the idea of bangs, but she can see so much better now, and we'll try to grow it out again once she learns to keep things in her hair.


7.) The house is feeling like home! We have settled into our house very nicely. Most of the boxes are unpacked, my dad has helped out with building shelving for our storage rooms, and it's all starting to come together. We still have several projects that need to be done (more painting, more furniture shopping, just lots of little things here and there), but for now, it is livable and we are really enjoying it. Nick and I are both so happy with the home and it is just so perfect for us. We use all of the rooms (except the two downstairs bedrooms which are for future growth), but we aren't cramped at all and the layout works great for us! Speaking of growth...


8.) The Marcus Family will be one member larger in the spring! Yep - you read correctly. Eliana will become a big sister this coming spring as we are expecting baby number two! I am almost 14 weeks along and we are very excited to announce that Baby #2 will be joining our family around April 2nd! I have been feeling great (God has blessed me again with this pregnancy in that I've had very little nausea), though the move was pretty exhausting. I am getting more energy back now, though!

Well, I guess that sums up our news and the changes that have been taking place in our home. Here's hoping that I will find the time to get a few more blog postings with pictures of the new home up soon. Until then, enjoy the beautiful fall colors, everyone! (They probably won't last long...)

12 comments:

  1. Yay for all the exciting changes!! Especially the new addition this spring. We are so excited for you guys! Enjoy the changes! :) Love you! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. AWESOME NEWS!!!! Congrats! Am so very excited for your family. Grandma is sure going to have a BLAST!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay!!! I am so excited!! You make really cute babies so keep it up :) Also, Im glad you are liking your new job! Cant believe El's is in daycare now. What a big girl!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Grumpy & Grandma are THRILLED! So exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. CONGRATULATIONS! I am SOOO happy for you guys! I am excited for the new home, the new jobs, the new daycare, the walking, the nice vacation and most of all- THE NEW BABY!!! YEAH!! :) Love you guys and can't wait to get together soon and catch up now that you've had some time to settle in! HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations to the Marcus family from Karen (Alicia's Mom)!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats! So happy for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  9. CONGRATULATIONS! We are so excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats! Lots of exciting news! We should get together sometime now that you are back in MN! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have to admit that when I started reading this post I was hoping that one of the changes was going to be a pregnancy announcement! Congratulations! It sounds like you are happy to be back in MN...we're happy for you and all that you have going on.

    ReplyDelete
  12. OK, long overdue, but SO EXCITED to hear and see the updates! We should chat soon...

    ReplyDelete