Saturday, November 8, 2008

Learning a new hobby

For those that don't know, Malmstrom AFB has been going through a huge inspection (called a Nuclear Surety Inspection) over the last few weeks to make sure the base could be ready in an emergency or to make sure that they can handle increased security. Because of that, Nick has had to work long hours, including weekends. Since I haven't seen much of him lately, I decided to learn a new hobby! My friend Amber has been teaching me how to quilt. It's something I've always wanted to learn, but either didn't have the time, or didn't know of someone who was able to teach me. Now I have no excuses!

My first project was a throw quilt to use in the baby's room on those long nights that I'm sure I will be up rocking the baby in the middle of the night. :) I chose a simple block pattern and with Amber's help, was able to construct a pretty darn nice quilt, if I do say so myself! Since we don't know the sex of the baby, I went with neutral colors and have since decided that I eventually want to decorate the nursery in those same three colors: sage green, white, and chocolate brown.

6 comments:

  1. Beautiful work! How talented my daughter is! Love ya,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the quilt! The colors are also some of my very favorite, and it will make a beautiful nursery. I'm just so happy that you get to do all this fun baby stuff - you've waited for so long, and just couldn't be more deserving!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Go Girl! That quilt is AWESOME!! Keep that girlfriend close by...I'll bet she has more great ideas to learn! I am so excited for you and Nick. Great color scheme, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I DO love the colors! Very nice... and well done I must say. The precision on that stitching looks amazing! Now you can teach me how to do it :) Not that I have the time yet... but some day I will! and Lord knows how much I love my quilts!
    Can't wait to see you at Christmas time! Keep your blog updated dear! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. That must have takes ages! Very impressive! :) Are you going to make one for all your kids? And all your nieces and nephews too?
    ..And all your brothers and sisters??

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice! Are you for hire? =) Your baby will love it!

    ReplyDelete