
I'll be the first to admit that I'm getting too used to these fantastic weekends lately! As what will probably be our last roadtrip during our time here in Vegas, we snuck away to San Diego over Memorial Day weekend. We left after work on Thursday night and drove the 5 hour trip. We spent Thursday and Friday night in downtown San Diego at a plush hotel called "The W". We did realize, however, that although the hotel was really nice, we definitely prefer places like Holiday Inn, where you aren't nickel and dimed for every little thing.

As many places were over the weekend, San Diego was actually on the cool side. Friday's high was only 57, and it rained off and on the whole day. That would have been awesome (since Nick and I haven't seen rain since February!), but it was of course the day we had planned to walk around downtown, do some sightseeing on Coronado Island, and see the Padres game (at their outdoor stadium). We actually did all that anyway, though we did have some wet clothes and a rain delay at the game to deal with. But still so much fun! And we learned you can always load up on the hot chocolate to keep warm. Hotel del Coronado was fun to see as well - with all it's Queen Victorian architecture, it is one of only a few lasting resorts from the 1800's. What a piece of history. (The Padres lost 3-2 to the Reds by the way...)

On Saturday, we stopped at the USS Midway, a naval aircraft carrier that retired in 1992 and is now a tourist spot. It was a great stop for Memorial weekend and was really neat to see what a navy ship was like. It's HUGE, though Nick and I both agreed that neither of us could live on the ship -

I would never be able to learn my way around and Nick would probably die the first week with a number of head concussions. I definitely recommend seeing it though if you ever get the chance. After that we traveled to Cabrillo National Monument and looked around there a bit. What fun to watch all the sail boats in the harbor!

Saturday evening we continued north to Carlsbad, CA and spent the rest of the weekend with my cousins Chris and Shannon. They made us an AWESOME seafood broil complete with King Crab legs. I can't begin to describe how delicious it was, not to mention how great it was to spend that time with them. On Sunday, we went to mass, saw the new Indiana Jones movie (I realize the age difference, but I still think Harrison Ford is so hot!), and did some hiking at Torrey Pines State Nature Preserve by the beach where we got to watch the sunset. Beautiful...

But of course all good things must come to an end, and so we headed back to Vegas midday Monday. Thank you Chris and Shannon for an awesome weekend - we had a great time and Chris, you never fail to make me laugh! I love you! My only disappointment for the weekend was not being able to see Chris' almost 6 month baby-bump - gain some weight! I want to see that beautiful belly! We hope you guys can make it out to see us in Montana sometime... having you guys come to Vegas and seeing you in Carlsbad this year reminds me of all the fun we had together growing up - I want to continue making those kinds of memories!
No comments:
Post a Comment